Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Week of September 10 - The Bookworm

Yep yep... Emily is definitely a bookworm. While she loves toys, especially toys that make music, she has a genuine facination for books. With this in mind, over the last several months we have been adding to her collection of books at home as well as over at grandma's house. Books with textures, books with pictures, books with sound effects to go along with pictures or textures... etc... etc. She loves 'em. We have actually obeserved Emily pulling a book out of her toy box and then sitting and quietly going methodically through the book page by page for as much as 30 minutes at a time. Hehe.. and those times can be notably quiet times too, where we keep checking in on her to find out why she is being so quiet (given her normally talkative approach to life as she learns more and more sylables and different ways to chain them together).

Emily even likes to read the mail when mom brings it in and sorts it. I have actually had her pick up envelopes and bring them over to me to open for her, so we have to be careful to sort the important mail from the junk mail before she gets involved in matters of mail.

I was able to capture a sequence of photos of Emily going through one of her books recently, as you will see in the three shots below.




LOL.. note... Emily is very definitely still linked to her Chinese cultural roots as she is actually going through this book from back page to front page :)

On the topic of sylables... I'm losing track now of all the sylables she can pronounce. I think we are up to a couple dozen now with her favorites being those that are most closely associated with singing. For example: Emily has a little Elmo musical cell phone that sings la...la...lala. Sure enough, Emily being a pretty good mimic will sing la..la..lala right along with the phone. And since it is music, she is likely to be rocking from side to side as she does so since she loves to animate to music (doing her very own versions of little boogy moves). That would definitely be baby following in mommy's footsteps, as mom loves to dance but dad has the "two-left_feet" syndrome. I can't wait to see her first dance once she is freely walking around on her own!

In the area of walking, while several of Emily's YiYang sisters are now freely walking with out assistance, Emily is walking well now but insists on holding either mom or dad's finger in one hand. Give her a finger to hold in her left hand and she will walk 20-30 feet. Mom say's she is really just being "chicken" since some of the time she is actaully not holding for balance, just for security. We figure another week or two she will break free and we'll really have a hard time keeping track of her (hard enough now the way she power crawls sometimes!).

Stay tuned for next week's adventures :)

1 comment:

Truly Blessed said...

Emily is so darn cute! I love, love, love children's books and have many pictures of my own children completely absorbed in them -- just like those of Emily.

Keep those books coming. Someday, you may have to "punish" Emily by taking her books away, just as I've had to do :) And I wish I had a dollar for every time someone said, "you're so lucky your sons like to read, I can't get my son/daughter to pick up a book" (and for the record, ANYTHING done to the extreme can be a negative thing, even reading!) :)

Keep those books coming anyway...Emily looks really great with a book in her hand!