Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Week of February 25 - One Year Ago On February 28 - Referral Day!!

Wow, it is amazing to see that a year has passed already since the day we got the call from our agency to inform us that our referral for Emily had arrived!!

That was quite an emotional day for us, as it is for all adopting parents. So I thought it would be very appropriate to start this weeks post by first sharing a photo of Emily a year ago, while playing in the HTS Infant Care Center at her orphanage. This photo was taken within a week or two of our referral day, so it has a lot of special significance for us. Emily was just 7 months old when this photo was taken.



And, now......a year later...look at how much our little girl has grown, 19 months old and fast approaching her 2nd birthday!! Go Emily!!


Nancy was busy this weekend in updating Emily's wardrobe. The outfit in the above photo is reflective of this, including some new indoor house shoes. So Nancy was having fun putting away old clothing and pulling new outfits that she has in storage for when Emily reaches the appropriate size. Just this last week, Emily has begun wearing 18 month pants. It looks like she is having a growth spurt in her legs right now and so she is pretty well wearing all 18 month clothing (tops and bottoms) now, with a 24 month top here and there (depending on actual fit). I think Nancy realized as she was updating the wardrobe just how much shopping she had been doing over the last 6-9 months for clothing for Emily. I think there are enough clothes in the storage case for more then another year of growth or more at this point! :) But it is fun to watch Nancy shopping for clothes for Emily.

A few more photos of my lovely daughter to share with you this week. I call this one peekaboo, as Emily likes to go around the island in our kitchen and peek at me to see what I am doing. Then when I see her, she laughs and runs around to the other side. We also take turns chasing each other around the island rather regularly, like every day at least :)


A few more photos to share with you in this weeks post. I have mentioned on a number of earlier posts how Emily very much loves reading, and also thinks all junk mail belongs to her. Well this continues and as you can see in the next two photos, it matters not if the junk mail is a rather large folded flyer, as Emily will simply unfold it and then study it in great detail, including front and back :)


And last but not least this week, Emily has a strict policy of making sure that she gets her share of anything that either Mommy or Dada may be eating. So whether you are sitting down for a full meal, or simply snacking on something, Emily will spot you, will yell out "num-num" and will come to get her share. This is readily apparent in this last photo as Emily spots Dada eating a snack (in this case a tortilla chip) and here she comes!!

By the way, Emily loves tortilla chips (and she keeps me busy breaking and forming mini chips that she can easily chew and swallow. She gets rather impatient too if I am not keeping up on making the mini chips. Does she like salsa and guacamole? Yes she does! So sometimes I will put a dab of one or the other on the chip for her. Her variety of tastes and particularly her love for spicy things continues to amaze me. But then again, she is from Hunan :)

2 comments:

Truly Blessed said...

What about the sour cream? You've GOT to have sour cream/guacamole/salsa on the chips (I think it's a law!).

What a beautiful child. Can you even imagine where the last year has gone? It's great that she's getting a new wardrobe -- how much fun is shopping for little girl clothes! This mom is secretly delighted when I have to go and buy something for our precious Katie, and a dear little friend gets all of Katie's "hand-me-overs" so it's fun to see them on little Kelly as well.

Sounds like life is good at "Emilys Parents" house!

Emily's Parents said...

You are absolutely right about the sour cream TB, and Emily does love it! We usually do that when she is demanding here share of some quesadilla from us :)

In general, Emily seems to tolerate dairy well at this stage, so we make sure she gets a variety on top of her daily milk by adding into her diet some cottage cheese, yogurt, sour cream, and cheese in her diet.

I did give Emily a little nibble of feta cheese one day and the expression her face was the best baby facial redition of the word "apalling" I have yet to see. Bad Dada!! Smart little girl though as I cannot convince her to fall for that a second time.