Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Week of July 15 - Emily's First Drum - Oh Oh

So Emily and I have a plan for all the empty containers and boxes in our home. Just like when I was a kid......waaaaaaaaay back when....and we did not have all the techie toys for kids, I played with boxes and containers all the time. So of course Emily being a kid, and with my casual encouragement (by handing her every empty container or box I get) she is very much into improvising with boxes and containers.

This week was fun in this regard because I had used the last of a large can of coffee and so I washed it out, put the lid back on, and then went over and set it inside Emily's play zone in the family room. Sure enough, she quickly investigated and just as quickly went over and dug out her little plastic shovel from the toy box and sat down with the coffee can and immediately began drumming on the lid with the shovel. Now, neither of us has ever taught her any technique for drumming, but I figure she has picked up the principles over time by watching Teletubbies (one of her favorite programs). So I'm not too surprised by this, but I was a little amazed at the fact that is was one continuous action on Emily's part to see the can, go get the shovel, and then sit down and start drumming. And here are a couple of photos of my little princess drumming.



And of course the story does not end there. A bit later in the day, Emily decided to turn the coffee can over, and begin drumming on the metal bottom. Yikes, that sound grinds on you! So of course I said to Emily, "Emily, stop that, turn the can over and drum on the plastic side". Sure enough, Emily stops, turns the can over and then continues drumming on the plastic lid. I could not stop laughing because I did not expect her to actually understand and comply, but she did! I figured this was a case where I would repeat the instructions several times and then go over and demonstrate while repeating again. Nope, my little daughter understood what I wanted her to do. Now compare that with some other times when I am giving her very simple and specific directions on something, and yet she will look right at me with this "deer in the headlights stare" like she has no clue what I am saying or asking. She does of course because she eventually complies, but in many cases I think she is just doing the headlights stare to get me worked up. LOL.

In other matters, since Emily pretty well knows all of the alphabet now, I have started using the fridge phonics letters to construct short words on the fridge, like "cat" and "dog" and "pig". Always the independent one though, Emily prefers to take the words I have constructed and start making up her own. I have no idea what a "pog" is or "cig", or a "dciop". So we are still a work in progress on moving to spelling out short words. Either that, or she is just messing with me again :-P Time will tell.

I prefer my daughters hair to be down and combed straight, with traditional bangs on the forehead. Nancy actually prefers putting the hair up in little tales. Emily actually does not care either way, as long as she gets to wear one of her hats (hats are the vogue for Emily right now). So in most cases, I win this preference competition because I am the one that dresses Emily in the mornings, and combs her hair, and washes face and puts cream on her skin. [Nancy does the tooth brushing with Emily though, which Emily calls "swish swish" and loves Emily loves to brush her teeth] Now on weekends, the preference competition takes on a different slant to it. Nancy has more time, is more relaxed, and so she will sit with Emily and "install" some pony tails. My role is to grin and bear it and give them some space...LOL. So here are a few photos of Emily with tails (rare photos too I might add).



Later in the day however, we can see that Daddy has prevailed in the great hair competition. Emily is having fun at the local park and her hair is "properly" to Daddy's preferences once again. So as Emily very often says when she accomplishes something, "taa daa! taa daa Daddy!! taa daa!!" My daughter is sooooo cute, even if I do say so myself. :-)


Papa is coming to town again this weekend to spend more time with us as Emily has a birthday coming up real soon (July 28). Two years old already!!! So stay tuned for more photos of Papa and Emily in the near future.

No comments: