I know...I know...didn't expect to hear from me again this week did ya?! Well..this is too funny to wait.. so on to the story :)
Yesterday afternoon, I was taking a break from work to spend so time with Emily and reading one of her picture books together with her. It is one of Emily's favorite books, with photos of all kinds of things as well as textures.
Anyway, we are on the food page and I am working to teach Emily different word associations and pronounciations to different items on the page. Carrot, orange, apple, strawberry, etc. [by the way, Emily now can say apple, and recognizes it when it is pointed to her...yay!!... of course she says it as "appa"....close enough :) ]
Meanwhile, Emily keeps pointing to a photo of some dinner rolls and saying "bao bao" which to me sounded like Ba Ba (baby Chinese for da da). Of coure I am trying to correct her and get to to say roll, but she will have none of that and simply points more emphatically and says "BAO BAO!". So I give up.. what the heck.. she way over uses Da Da all the time for all kinds of things.
When Nancy gets home a little later, I tell her about this and we go through the book again because I am all proud about the fact that my little girl can recognize and say apple now. Nancy just laughs at me and calls me a dufus, as Emily points to the dinner roll again and says "bao bao" "Why?" I say. "Because bao bao means roll in Chinese!" "Oh!" I said, "well no wonder!!" Heh, light bulb finally goes off for me when Nancy explains that Emily often shares morning breakfast rolls with Grandpa (she loves to eat with Grandpa) and so she already knows what words for roll are, in Chinese.
So there ya go.....Emily is not quite 15 months of age and she is already teaching Da Da Chinese! Bravo for Emily!....because after almost 6 years, Nancy has failed to teach me much beyond ni hao. :-P
Tuesday, October 17, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
What a smart little girl! Just goes to show you, we're always learning!
What a little doll. And you, you're just the picture of the proud papa!
That is a cute story. Elena
Post a Comment