Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Week of June 3 - Mischief (aka: The adventures of Gadget Girl)

I am happy to say that most mischief induced upon us by Emily is relatively benign. She has become an expert and inventive climber in the last few weeks so I find we are progressively raising more and more things out of her reach. Just this week though, she managed to climb up on the coffee table in the family room and then reach up and tumble a set of candles and the small platform they rest on. I think she was very surprised by the chaos. Clever girl that she is, as soon as it happened, I looked over, she looked at me and promptly did one of her very famous pre-emptive crying sessions in her very best "I'm so upset" routine. It was all I could do to keep from laughing when she did this. What she was actually doing was trying to avoid being told to go sit down in her chair and take a time-out. It did not work however, because I pointed at the chair and before I could even say the words, she got down off of the table and strolled quickly over to sit down. Most timeouts are 2-3 minutes for Emily. It really depends on what she did, and how long she chooses to cry in protest. Sometimes she thinks the time-out is unfair and so she will do a long cry fest and give us the big pouty lower lip for several minutes before settling down. Our routine is to let her get up once she is calm and we then kiss and hug and make-up and I pretend that she actually promises not to do the same thing again [oh yeah, I live in a delusional world sometimes :-P ]

Anyway, as I said, very often, Emily mischief is just cute mischief that truly deserves some camera time. So with that preamble, let me introduce you to great Emily mischief of the harmless variety.

This first one would be Emily, whose quick hands are amazingly fast and opportunistic, having bagged Mommy's Blackberry and climbed up in the patio chair to relax and is busily working the keys.....probably half way through a call to China by the time we took it away from her. I blame Mommy for leaving the "Crackberry" in harms way.


Now this one is really cute, and is not really mischief as much as it is a very clever little girl in action. See, Mommy gave Emily a little cast plastic paperweight (colorful and shiny = Emily wants!!). The really clever part though is Emily has a very effective imagination and has decided that this paperweight looks a whole lot like Daddy's camera. So in this photo, Emily is holding the paperweight like it is a camera and pointing it toward us. It shows her as she is just bringing it up to action position (note the right index finger on imaginary shutter button)She then says "cheese' (because that is what Mommy taught her) and she even scrunches one eye closed as she looks over the top of the paperweight with the other eye (my daughter is a very detail oriented girl and an expert mimic). LOL... this one was just too funny in real life and I actually wished for a rare change I had a video of this one.


Shifting gears a bit, we all know that Emily loves adult shoes, and particularly Mommy's house slippers. In this next photo, Emily takes this all to a new fashion level though by once again taking advantage of the fact that Mommy has left a personal possession within baby arms reach. See Emily in Mommy's slippers. See Emily with Mommy's purse. Not seen in the photo, but I assure you it happened this way....see Mommy chasing Emily to regain possession of her purse...ROFL. Yes, you guessed it, I blame Mommy once again for the mischief, but it did result in an absolutely adorable photo of Emily. Purse slung over arm (Mommy style, because she is an excellent mimic, with an eye for detail), a hand in the air waving at Daddy, and with a big toothy smile (because she is saying "cheese" as she sees the camera in my hands, because that is what Mommy taught her to do).


We have a long weekend planned and will be taking our first road trip with Emily for a short vacation. First we head to Bonfonte Gardens Park, which Nancy tells me is the Great America equivalent for little kids. The the next day we will head on over to Monterrey to spend time at the Monterrey Aquarium, and let Emily see the ocean for the first time. if it is warm and sunny, we may even go splash in the water a bit, at least to the ankles (water is very cold there all year long). Should be a fun outing and I'm certainly planning on lots of photo opportunities of my little princess. So stay tuned next week for vacation photos.

1 comment:

Truly Blessed said...

Oh yeah! A road trip!

Your sweet little Emily is way too smart for her own good. Love the picture of her with Mommy's slippers and purse.

Katie not only drags my purse around the house, she also knows how to unzip it and empty it's contents...one piece at a time. I know.....it's Mommy's fault for leaving it somewhere Katie can reach it! Good thing there's never any money in it for Katie to take!

Looking forward to pix from your trip. Have fun!